I turned off the water, flushed the toilet one last time, and used my 'super absorbent sponge' (which was anything but), so remove the remainder of the water from the tank. I did that and proceeded to loosen the 3 (yes, 3) bolts holding it to the bowl, and lifted it off, and carried it to the cardboard in the spare bedroom (which now looks like a bathroom).
The next step was to remove the water from the bowl. I donned my industrial strength rubber gloves and 'super absorbent sponge' and removed the water from the bowl. Not too bad, actually.
I then proceeded to remove (quite easily) the bolts holding the toilet to the floor. Everything I read said they'd probably be rusted on, and I'd need to take my hacksaw to them. No such bad luck for me. After removing the bolts, I started gently rocking the bowl to break the seal to the floor. Fortunately (or sadly), there was no seal. At the first gentle rock, the whole thing almost toppled over. I gently lifted to bowl from the floor, and carried it away. It weighed far less than I expected.
The final step was to scrape the wax off the drain pipe. I grabbed my trusty putty knife and went to town. While cleaning the wax, I noticed 4 very rusty screws about 1/2 way out on the mounting plate. These were supposed to be holding the mounting plate to the floor, but were so rusted that they snapped in half with little effort. Great. My toilet was being help to the floor by the drain pipe. No caulk, no mount to the floor. I'm glad it was in such a position that did allow people to run into it from the side. I replaced the 4 dreaded screws and finished cleaning it up, and it's ready to go back - once the floor is done.